Polka Dot Sweatshirt

Grainline Studio | Polka Dot Sweatshirt

Grainline Studio | Polka Dot Sweatshirt

Grainline Studio | Polka Dot Sweatshirt

Hey polka dot! I haven’t done much knit sewing but this fabric lured me in. It’s from The Needle Shop and every time I was there I could just imagine it as this sweatshirt and how comfortable it was going to be. Then one day there was only a yard and a half left so I snapped it up quick and made this sweatshirt after work the same night. The pattern is drafted from a sweater I have and is pretty easy. It looks like all of the pieces are just rectangles but they actually have shape, I swear! I’m super happy with how this sweatshirt turned out and I wear it a ton even though I have a sneaking suspicion that I look a little crazy wearing it. Oh well! I’ve been hoping to add a few more cut and sew knits to my wardrobe this year so this was a good start.

The Details
Pattern : Drafted off of an existing sweater
Fabric : Polka Dot Knit from The Needle Shop
Photos : The always awesome Julia Stotz

**I feel like I need to say, after receiving comments and emails about this face covering, why I was covering my face in these photos and the Icelandic sweater photos. My friend Julia took these photos and while I was lucky enough to get to use them for my blog, they were mostly for hers as she’s trying to do a few shoots a week this winter. I had to cover my face because I couldn’t stop laughing long enough to get a proper photo taken and we couldn’t have my mouth gaping open in her photos! We thought it was pretty hilarious, sorry if you took it the wrong way. I’m not ashamed that I have a face or anything like that, I was just way too giggly for anyone’s good. I also thought I was having a pretty awesome hair day that day fyi!

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Polka Dot Sweatshirt

1. liza jane says:

Is it the knit that looks pieced or is the sweatshirt actually pieced together? I love it!

2. jessica says:

I wish you wouldn’t cover your face on your post … It kind of looks weird … AND more importantly, why would you hide such a beautiful face?
    *hugs*

• No weird intentions with the face covering, Julia and I just thought it was hilarious and we mostly did it because I couldn’t stop laughing long enough to have my photo taken. Since the photos were mostly for her blog (I am just lucky and got to use them for mine) we couldn’t have my mouth gaping open!

3. Marisa says:

Oh I love polka dots :) They make everything pretty!

4. kelli says:

I love it. not crazy at all. and I love your new photo style too.

5. Laura says:

that sweater is amazing, I would love to have one like this!! fortunately you decided to buy the last piece of the knit. :) and I don’t think you look crazy. maybe it’s a bit “loud” (to use the words of that ikea-man), but loud is just fine!

6. nettie says:

I LOVE IT!!! That print is awesome and I love comfy knit tops! Beautiful photos, too!!

7. sallie says:

Woo hoo! Polka dots!! I love it! I would wear this a TON. I love cut and sew knits – not being a knitter myself and all it’s the only way I know to get my cozy on!

• I wear this thing way way way too much, I need to chill out on it 4real. I now understand the appeal of cut and sew knits and need to make more! I just hate fitted clothes so I never thought about making a tshirt, but this kind of stuff I can get behind!

8. Carolyn says:

Ahh! Best sweatshirt ever! That fabric is amazing. Not crazy at all! I used to wear a bright yellow sweater covered with a black grafitti print- now that was crazy…

9. Jade says:

love that fabric! it looks great and comfy~

10. emily marie says:

This sweatshirt is glorious, and I would be wearing it DAILY. Completely coveting this fabric since you posted on instagram!

11. gingermakes says:

CUTE! Love this! I wanna see you wear it with your polka-dotted Britex scarf!

• Dude, I have a few sartorial dreams and they all involve dressing head to toe in one thing. First love is a Canadian Tuxedo (dreammmmmyyyy) second is dressing head to toe in polka dots and showing up to meet people who find it hilarious. Julia and I may do that photo just because we can. HA!

12. Gail says:

Cute, definitely cute.

13. Fun dots and comfy – a winner!

14. Miranda says:

I love this, Jen! You’ve got such an eye for pattern + shape. Golly me I wish I could just sneak inside your head for a few days and absorb the inspiration. You’re wonderful.

15. Meghan says:

This is so cute! I am such a sucker for polkadot anything. I may or may not have TWO polkadot sweaters……

16. Stephanie says:

Love this. Do you have a pattern you could share for this?

17. Carol says:

I would buy a pattern for that in one second.

18. EAA says:

I would love to buy this pattern! Please make it available in your shop. :)