2012 Handmade Ornament Exchange | My Ornament + Pattern

A few weeks ago Kelli asked if I wanted to participate in an ornament swap she was organizing with some pretty rad ladies. I have never done any sort of ornament swap and the last time I actually made ornaments was when I was a kid and glued pompoms and popsicle sticks together to make sledding panda bears so I said sure thing! For my ornament I wasn’t sure what to make besides the fact that I wanted to make an animal. I made a list of possible animals then asked my sister what she thought I should make. She said Narwhal, definitely, and it was on my list so Narwhal it was.

I have full instructions and a pattern for the little whale below the jump as well as a few alternative ideas for this narwhal. Be sure to check out the other ladies participating, I can’t wait to see what I’ll be receiving in the mail soon!

Sonja | Mika | Suzanne | Miranda | Megan | Jen | Dixie | Madalynne | Kelli

Supply List : Felt, scissors, needle + thread, marking pen / pencil, sequins, narwhal pattern and stuffing

Trace and cut your felt pieces.

Sew both sets of flippers together and turn right side out.

Sew top panel to both sides, one side at a time.

Baste flippers to the sides of the narwhal.

Attach bottom panel leaving about 2″ open between the tail and flipper on one side.

Flip the narwhal right side out.

Sew your sequins onto the sides of the narwhal and add his eyes.

Stuff your narwhal and whip stitch the opening closed.

I forgot to take photos of assembling his tusk, but sew along the open edge, flip right side out, pad it with a little stuffing and whip stitch it onto his face. Add your string to hang him and you’re all done!

A few bonus narwhal ideas…
1. My cat is obsessed with these things, like I cannot leave them out unattended or they will be gone in an instant so I made one out of regular quilt weight fabric and stuffed it with stuffing and catnip. She hauls it around the house in her mouth all the time now and it cracks me up.
2. Turn the Narwhal into an Orca. Omit the tusk and instead of two colors of grey felt, use black for the top and white for the bottom.

Click the image below to get the full sized pattern.

This entry was posted in Make It and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to 2012 Handmade Ornament Exchange | My Ornament + Pattern

1. sallie says:

GAH!!! So cute!! I die! I love seeing all these today – I am in need of a little Christmas spirit.

2. Jen says:

this is the greatest!

3. gingermakes says:

This is the cutest thing ever! I LOVE it! You’re feeding my crazy whale obsession! :)

4. oonaballoona says:

this exchange is seriously doing me bodily harm. cute overload.

5. adorable!!! who can resist a sequin covered narwhal?!!

6. Erica says:

AAAAH! Sourcing felt asap! I must have a narwhal of my own.

7. Caitlin says:

It’s super cute, of course! I love that you chose a narwhal, coolest unicorn of sea creatures.

8. maddie says:

this is so your style! I’m REALLY glad you participated!

9. kristi says:

Love the sequins.

10. anto says:

What a cute Narwhal. I need to make this!

11. Kelli says:

This is so great! I saw a couple of pics on instagram and was really hoping this was your ornament. Narwhals are the coolest! I think I will probably make some more from your pattern for family too.

• After I posted those I was wondering if I shouldn’t have, but I just was so excited about the narwhal I couldn’t help myself, haha. Thanks a BUNCH for organizing this, it’s been so fun. I can’t wait to get my ornaments from everyone!

12. indigorchid says:

Haha! Terribly funny!

13. Miranda says:

I didn’t realize Narwals were real creatures (Just invented by the writers of ELF!) until I showed Dave one of your IG photos and he told me they were one of his favorite animals. Random. These turned out so amazing, and I’m sure they took forever! All of those sequins! I think this is going to be out all year. xo

• I’m pretty sure the first time I saw a narwhal image I didn’t believe they were real, it’s still hard to believe! They took a little longer than anticipated and I had to take a week break from doing things involving my hands after beading those suckers. Totally worth it though!

14. megannielsen says:

Oh my gosh WHAT?! this is the cutest ornament ever!!!! I am literally freaking out because i cannot wait to hang that on my tree. Meanwhile i love that your kitty kept trying to steal them, i can see my kids trying to steal this from the tree every 5 minutes as soon as its up. I might need to use your pattern and make them some for playtime :)
    Thanks for making such a awesome ornament for swap hun!
    meg xoxo

15. Suzanne says:

Christmas Narwal makes me think of the movie “Elf”! Love it.

16. Mika says:

So cute! I love that so many people made animals – it will be fun to see them all together!

17. Pingback: » monday obsessions elegantitus.com

18. ZoSews says:

That is just too cute :o)

19. This is great. What paper size is the pattern for?

20. Julie says:

oh wow, that is the cutest ornament I’ve seen all season!! Utterly love it.

21. Mim says:

Are you kidding me?! This little guy is just perfect! SO cute!

22. dixiediy says:

this is so cute! i love the sequins!

23. Pingback: Friday Link Love « Design Lived

24. lydigann says:

This is so cute! What did you use for the eye? It doesn’t look like embroidery floss, and it doesn’t look like a sequin either!

25. Kelly says:

These are so cute, would it be difficult for a less experienced sewer? I have a small class (7 students) and believe it or not, they recently became obsessed with narwhals while researching them, so these would make great gifts, I’m just not sure of the level of difficulty. Also, what did you use for the tusk?

• I don’t think it would be too difficult and you could definitely sew them by hand pretty easily, not sure if they’re using machines or not. They go together without much trouble pretty quickly especially in the wool or part wool felt (they sell the wool blend felt at JoAnn and it’s pretty nice). For the tusk I originally rolled white felt from the pattern above but then decided to use silk shantung with a lightweight fusible for the final narwhals. Gave it a more “ivory” look but the felt is really easy and cute as well! If you guys end up making them let me know how it goes, I’d love to see them!

26. Pingback: A gift « bluesewncat

27. This is the cutest thing! I almost want to make a large stuffed narwhal to cuddle. I also wanted to let you know that i linked to you in my 12 projects of christmas ornaments post on my blog. Please let me know if you want me to take the link and photo down.

28. LazyBioGirl says:

I am a lazy-ass Biologist (well, lazy as far as crafting is concerned), but I would LOVE a narwhale ornament! Did you know their “tusk” is actually an overgrown incisor tooth? Biologically speaking, they are a very cool sea creature. And your ornament is adorable. Ever consider making them to sell on Etsy?

• Thanks! I actually did know that, I think I found out while watching Frozen Planet or some similar show, it’s actually one of my favorite things about them. No plans for Etsy at the moment, I’m pretty narwhaled out at the moment, I had sequin induced twitches in my hands for a few days after making these swap guys!

29. Pingback: The night before Christmas - megan nielsen design diary

30. Bethany says:

Yay!! Just made one! Though for the life of me I could not get that tusk flipped right side out. I think it still looks okay! I found this through Pinterest and I gotta say. Feels so good to finally DO something I pinned :) thanks for the tutorial and pattern!! Awesome!

31. Len says:

So cute!!! How did you sew the eyes?

32. Kat says:

I think this is probably the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen!

33. Shannon says:

Hi, Thank you SO much for sharing this Narwhal tutorial! My son who is turning 13 yrs old soon has been going around saying “Narwhal”. I don’t know why but he has asked for one. LoL So I will try to make this little Narwhal and surprise him for his birthday. Thank you!!!

34. S says:

Sooo awesome! Thank you for posting this. I will make it for my Christmas tree this year. Great job!

35. Pingback: Fabric wrapped christmas presents: Year 3! - megan nielsen design diary

36. jeanine says:

I love this sooooooooooooooo much and NEEED to make many!!!

However… when I try and click the pic it just wants to pin – it won’t give me that pattern :(