A Little Couch Spruce Up

after – cute inviting pillows and blanket (and cat)

before – cute inviting cat

Oh this couch. It’s been an eyesore since I moved into this apartment with Luke some odd years ago (maybe 4? Neither of us are sure right now) and I’ve never really been sure what to do about it. It was purchased before I moved in, I don’t know that I would have approved the purchase of a blue corduroy couch, especially as owners of a fawn pug and light colored cat, but it’s here now and I’ve been stuck with it. I don’t really want to get a new couch while we live in this apartment since the brick wall crumbles on it every time it rains (the joys of “loft living”) and buying enough fabric to recover an IKEA couch seems like a real waste of money so this is what I came up with.

The plaid blanket on the back of the couch is a yard and a half of beautiful Pendleton wool I purchased on eBay a few years ago but being only a yard and a half, it was always just short of what I needed if I wanted to plaid match, which I most certainly did. I hemmed up the two raw edges and boom, an awesome Pendleton wool blanket!

The pillows are made from fabrics I purchased at The Needle Shop here in Chicago, where I’ve recently started working (more on that at a later date). Note to Chicago people, if you’re looking for pillow forms at a good price, The Needle Shop is your place. They’re cheaper than JoAnn with a 40% off coupon and you get to feel good for supporting a local shop. Snaps all around. I’m pretty happy with how this couch spruce up turned out, we’ve already been sitting on the couch a TON more and I even passed out there last night for a few hours…a previously unheard of activity. This should do the trick until it makes sense to upgrade to something a little less blue. Or something that doesn’t act as pet hair velcro. Or both!

This entry was posted in Sewn Other and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to A Little Couch Spruce Up

1. Stephanie says:

Way cute!! I love the fabric. I’ve already considered re-covering our Ikea couch too, but came to the same conclusion. New pillows definitely do the trick.

Love the kitty shots. They just have to be in the middle of it, huh?

• Thanks! Yeah, I was so close to buying fabric and then I thankfully came to my senses. It sucks that 5 minutes after I de-pet-hair it, it’s covered again! PETS!!!

Yeah these crazy cats just want to be all up in everything. She was super busy hunting pigeons on the rooftop across the alley through the window like a true winner!

2. sallie says:

Oh man, I am so noting this! I am currently giving the evil eye to our Ikea couch, bought second hand out of desperation. It’s black and gets COVERED in animal hair so we’ve tucked an ugly tan blanket over top of it. It’s literally the saddest couch I’ve ever seen. I need to do some serious couch sprucing over here! Those cute pillows would help…

3. nettie says:

That looks sooooo good! I have a blue Ikea couch, too. I was swayed from my first choice while there…anyway. Something like this might make me fall in love with it again!

• I would heartily recommend some new pillow covers, I’m surprised by how much I want to hang out on that thing now. The blue wouldn’t be so bad it it wasn’t corduroy and the opposite of both of our super sheddy pet’s hair. Pet Hair City!

4. love your fabric choices! and I’m curious to hear more about your new gig :)

5. Gillian says:

As soon as I saw your first pic, I thought, “Oh COURSE her couch would look like that!” Fun, quirky, and not at all frou-frou. That’s why I love your patterns! :)

6. Caitlin says:

I think that grey polka dot is the same as the red polka dot I used for my couch pillows. Twins again! Did you see the “matching” fabric for it? It’s a bunch of words in different fonts, describing Paris, I think. Yikes.

Why do kitties love sofas so much? I bet Roamy will spend more time there with that cute Pendleton blanket on the back. My kitties are really fond of wool blankets + sofas. I think it’s a kitty heaven combo. Plus with all those cool new pillows, nobody, let alone a kitty could resist it.

7. Amy says:

I love *thinking* about sewing pillows but never get to it. They really make things look so much more comfy and pretty. Around here I have given up on making furniture look hair-free. Having an assortment of throws helps. We have an all-black and two white cats, and a black and white dog, so no color wins ;). And I just have to comment on those beautiful brick windowsills! I miss living in the midwest with all that bricky brick.

8. gingermakes says:

This looks a million times better! It looks so cozy now and the prints are definitely your style! I should probably make some throws for our couch, too– we bought a leather couch from IKEA thinking it would be the most resistant to pug hair, but they love to dig in it when we’re not home so it’s covered with scratches. :( Oh, pets…

9. sarah says:

omg. dude. my pal lisa (you’ve met her!) just moved in blocks away from the needle shop. neat-o!