Autumn Wardrobe | Planning + Illustrations

It’s finally starting to feel like fall around here and I could not be happier about it. I feel like summer around here started in March and never let up but now there’s a chill in the air and it feels so good. That said, it’s time for the Autumn Wardrobe Project to begin! This is a lot of stuff and I’m sadly not a machine so as usual with my wardrobe projects I’m just going to try to get done what I can get done and not stress too badly about it.

You may recognize the polka dot button up from the previous wardrobe sketches, it was a little to warm to consider making that this summer so it carries over and is joined by 3 other dreamy shirts. From left to right the fabrics are : Washed Silk Crepe de Chine, Liberty Tana Lawn, Silk Chiffon, Cotton Flannel

I’d really like a few easy wearing dresses, something I can throw on with tights and be done. This dress is something I’ve been wanting to make for a while, the Meridian dress from Hound SS ’11 with 3/4 length sleeves. I will also be raising the low back because that kind of cut will give you a serious chill during the winter months. I’m not totally sure about these fabrics, but I’d ultimately like to try one in wool, silk and a knit. From left to right the fabrics are : Wool Suiting, Silk Charmeuse, Cotton Knit

Okay these are definitely from last fall’s wardrobe project. I didn’t end up making the cape last fall because the fabric I had planned on using turned out to be about a yard short and I never could find a replacement I really liked. Well I’ve found one now and made a few style changes which are making me pretty excited. The sweater you will recognize as my ill fated Icelandic sweater. I literally had the sweater done, tried it on, and thought it was too snug to wear with multiple shirts underneath. I tore the whole thing out and am about halfway done with the second attempt. I WILL finish this sweater this fall. If I don’t, please remind me about it often and try to make me feel really really really guilty. I will also be making this grey skirt, it’s the same pattern as my Mini Moss skirt which I wear quite a bit in the cooler months. From left to right the fabrics are : Wool Twill, Lopi Wool

This is a funny little grouping. I got really into using these crazy headless ladies again so I needed an entire outfit but nothing really went with these pieces. The top on the left is based on a Sessun top my friend had me alter for her this summer. I thought it would be a good alternative to my many many tanks for layering. The bottom is the skirt mentioned above and next to it is a variation of that skirt which adds a hem band to the bottom. My polka dot blazer is here too, I promise not to wear it business suit style with this skirt. From left to right fabrics are : Liberty Tana Lawn, Cotton Twill, Cotton Ikat, Wool Twill

Last but not least are these guys, you may remember them from my previous post. I decided to get the red and mustard because those colors are marked with the “goodbye” icon at Knitpicks. I really would love to have all 4 pairs of socks but I figured 2 pairs was a good place to start from.

I’d also love to try to work with some knit tops this fall / winter. I just ordered a ton of knit swatches so I’m excited to get those and hopefully find something I’d like to experiment with. So many plans, so little time…

Anyone planning a fall wardrobe of your own? Let me know, I’d love to see!

This entry was posted in Journal Entry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Autumn Wardrobe | Planning + Illustrations

1. Excitement abounds! You are right, there are not enough hours to sew in a day.

2. Zoe says:

These illustrations are so ace! Can’t wait to see all these garments come into being! xx

3. Anke says:

What a fun way to plan your wardrobe! This is the best visual to-do list I’ve ever seen. I really wish I owned a sewing machine! Good luck with all your projects!

4. Katrina says:

That silk chiffon collared shirt? I’ve been trying to muster up the courage to make the exact same thing. I wanted to bind the edges of the collar, the cuffs, the hemline, and possibly the button placket with leather bias tape. Any tips for those of us who are terrified of sewing with chiffon?

5. Melissa says:

I would love to see a tutorial about how you created the illustrations – especially how you get the prints onto the pieces. I’m assuming you use Illustrator, but beyond that ?????

• I did use Illustrator and drew them using the pen tool. I don’t really know how much I can say about that, it’s mostly just practice and there are a zillion YouTube tutorials that will tell you how to use the pen tool better than I could through images. I can do a post on any tips specifically having to do with drawing clothing and include the part about the prints though.

• Melissa says:

That would be great! I know how to use the pen tool to draft, but I just can “draw” with it. I think it’s mostly a mental block – in my head, patterns aren’t drawings.

6. Love your flats! You have a great plan here and I look forward to seeing it come together.

7. honigdesign says:

Very cute, love the dresses and the cape!

8. Heather Lou says:

I love your illustrations! And that cape! And I reeeeaaallly need to get around to blogging my fall plan too.

9. laura says:

so fun! i’m trying to get to it myself, i set a goal for myself to sew for at least a half hour a day. today it was spent mending, but tomorrow… http://www.flickr.com/photos/peoplecake/7985976570/

10. knitgirl23 says:

Illustrations are so cute, makes me miss having access to Adobe products. I want your parrot and ikat fabric too. :)

• Ugh sorry to hear, I would be very very sad without my Adobe products! I’m very lucky to have a photographer/professor boyfriend technologically and otherwise. There wouldn’t be any grainline at all without him! Also, B&J Fabrics…get some!

11. indigorchid says:

Ahhh, I’m so excited about your iclandic sweater! I’m planning on making me some icelandic-ish mittens, and then we’ll match, yey. Also, this, and the last post, does inspire/push me to do my own! I think I have projects from my last fall-planning-post that’ll just slide right on over… Good thing my taste is slow to change, haha!

• OH dude, totally just slide those suckers over, I totally did that. I also am sliding over a partially finished coat for winter, hahaha! I am pumped about our Icelandic Matching Party, ugh I can’t believe how long it’s taking me to finish this sweater, perfection perfection. Such a curse!

12. em says:

These plans and illustrations are so fun! I love following your wardobe plans for each season.

any hints on what patterns you’ll be publishing? I love my maritime shorts and am going to print out the scout tee today :D

• Thanks, I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s enjoying them…haha!

As for pattern hints, you’ll find them all in my current and past wardrobes. Skirt, button up shirt, cape, 2 dresses and a blazer (okay that one is the Morris Blazer, not the one pictured here). That should be it till spring and they’ll be spread over the winter because, as much as I wish it weren’t true, there are only 24 hours in a day. Bummer!

13. gingermakes says:

How fun! I’m really looking forward to seeing your drawings come to life!

14. sallie says:

Wow! This is such an inspirational plan! I love your headless ladies – they remind me vaguely of some Halloween cartoon I saw as a kid but now can’t remember if it was a dream or not…Anyway! Your very organized plan is making me itch to end my random sewing and start working on a more cohesive list.

• Hahahahhaha yeah the headless ladies are equal parts awesome and creepy, I think that’s why I luv them so much. I have to say, I recommend the cohesive list, as long as you can manage to not get obsessed by it and not feel bad if you don’t finish it. I still can’t believe my overly obsessive list-making self has managed to do that, blows my mind a little. Secretly I feel a little sad if I don’t finish everything though…shhh!

15. nettie says:

I LOVE your illustrations!! I can’t wait to see the cape and the chiffon bird print dress!! And I think I may join you in making socks this winter. I’ve had the urge a while and I think I’m ready to give in.

16. emily marie says:

YES. Your lady flats are so great! If I were to make a plan like this for myself, I’m sure I’d give myself a panic attack being way too ambitious. Props for cranking out last season’s plan like a champ!

17. Stephanie says:

Have I commented on this already? I feel like I have. Anyhoo, your fall planning is my favorite. These pieces are so fantastic. I’m dying over the bird print silk charmeuse.

18. Pingback: Fall Wardrobe | La Casa de Crafts