Progress Report | Maritime Shorts Pattern

I thought it might be fun to share a few images of what I’m working on from time to time under a new section called Progress Report. Right now I’m just finishing up the pattern for the next downloadable pattern installment which I am calling the Maritime Shorts. This pattern is a Hound pattern, the first Hound pattern I’ve made for download, by the same name from Spring ’11. I have 2 pairs of these shorts (here and here) and I’m working on a third right now, they’re pretty great, I think so at least! My original plan was to put the pattern out on Friday but I now have to work and I don’t really like the idea of having a new pattern release while I’m away from all technology all day so now I’m thinking Monday is the day. I’m so pumped to finish this up and get busy on the next patterns, omg!

I also wanted to ask, do you find step by step photo tutorials helpful for sewing these patterns? I made one for the Tiny Pocket Tank but then didn’t for the Scout Tee or Kat Dress because I wasn’t sure if people were using them since the patterns come with instructions. Let me know have an opinion either way, maybe I’ll bring the photo tutorials back if there is a resounding call for them.

Also, if you’d like to get an email when I add new patterns to the shop, which should actually be happening now (gah, finally!), you can sign up for the email list in the sidebar.

This entry was posted in Progress Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Progress Report | Maritime Shorts Pattern

1. Mika says:

I’m so excited about this pattern! I haven’t been able to find a shorts pattern I’ve been happy with, and I think this could be the one.

2. Ginger says:

I’m so excited, too! I really can’t wait to try these out! Personally, I don’t really need photo tutorials since your instructions are so clear, but that’s just my opinion.

3. Lizz says:

I’m so excited about these shorts! Can’t wait for the release!

4. sallie says:

AAAHHH!! I’m so excited!! Thanks for sharing! I’m very curious about your process – are you using illustrator up there? do you scan your pattern pieces in? forgive my geeky questions…

• You bet I am! Haha, no actual pattern software here, unless I win the mega millions…then for sure! I do scan the pieces, then rebuild them and go from there. I’m thinking of doing a post on my process since everyone seems interested…we’ll see, it could be pretty zzzzz inducing.

5. anto says:

The step by step photos are super helpful. I hope to see them back because they were great for the Tiny Pocket Tank. Can’t wait to see new patterns.

6. caroline says:

yes i love step by step photos in addition to written patterns!

7. audrey says:

I used the full back pattern tutorial to make my own swingy version of the Scout Tee. It was very helpful and easy to understand. But as far as sewing up the pattern, the written instructions that came in the download were clear enough for me to know what to do.

8. Amanda says:

Yay!! I can’t wait for this pattern! For me, step by step photo instructions are super helpful in case I ever get confused with the printed instructions. ;) I used them for the tiny pocket tank and will use them again for the shorts, if you’re able to post them!! Thanks!!!

Also signing up for the email now. Can’t wait to see more patterns!!

Take care!!
    Amanda

9. Vanessa says:

Excited about the shorts pattern too! And I like the step by step photo tutorials. I used the flat bias one and found it really helpful.

10. Julie says:

whoa, that screen shot of your pattern is amazing! I dont really sew, so I’m unfamiliar with pattern drafting software, but it looked amazing.

11. Oh cool, new pattern! What program do you use for making patterns on your Mac? I have a Mac and I’ve been hunting around for good software for ages. I kinda defaulted to using iDraw but it’d be awesome to know from a professional what other options are out there.

12. Alaina says:

I’m super excited for this! Just mentally arranged my current sewing projects in the order of how I will complete them to get ready for this! Yay! I’m a big fan of your photo instructions because I’m a visual learner. When I can’t figure out what is meant by a written instruction, I find referring to your photos as the perfect tool for learning new sewing skills.

13. Oh yeah I will be snapping these up to make me some printed shorts!

14. margomade says:

I would love a step by step photo tutorial! Can’t wait to buy the pattern!

15. Amy says:

Ooh, is that a grading tool at the top? I’m curious about that! It’s fun seeing background pattern making at work…

• Yep, it’s a grading machine! It makes grading a bit faster and much more accurate than other hand methods though it doesn’t actually do anything for you, it’s not computerized or anything like that.

16. emily says:

These look super cute! Have plans to make Scout and Tiny Pocket ASAP and am still mulling over colour options for Kat. Love your style & excited to see you bring out more patterns!

I haven’t made anything yet but just reading over the directions they seem super clear. I actually prefer just the concise black and white instruction book because I can actually print it and have it with my while I sew. Picture tutorial is harder to have with me while sewing.

Cheers!