Friday Failure

So you know when you have this wonderful idea for a project and then you’re making it and thinking, “this is strange, I should stop,” but then you keep pushing ahead? That happened to me yesterday. I was working on this skirt and my normal editing function short circuited and I just kept going and going and going on this horribly doomed project. When I woke up a bit ill today it sort of explained where my head was at yesterday but man, what a disappointment! I’m hoping I can salvage it into something when I’m feeling better, we’ll see. It’s just always so sad when this happens.

To end on a slightly less depressing note, a beautiful beach scene found here and two live puffin cams, the puffin burrow and the puffin loafing ledge, found via Evie on twitter. Happy weekend!

This entry was posted in Journal Entry. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Friday Failure

1. Beth says:

It’s so sad when a project doesn’t turn out as one imagined. I’m sure you’ll be able to resurrect it one day. Have a great weekend and fell better!

• jen | grainline says:

It’s so hard to pick these sad projects back up again, but probably sooner is better than later!

2. maddie says:

I used to do a lot of this – just keep going and going – but I have slowly developed the skill to stop, step away, and think when I encounter a problem. I usually have to step away for a night or an afternoon and not think about it. Somehow, subconsciously, the answer usually comes to me. I’m sorry to hear about your project. I don’t think it’s a failure though. I’m sure you can do something else with it!

• jen | grainline says:

I usually have no problem stopping but I think the excessive heat + being under the weather was clouding my judgement in a BIG way! I think I should be able to turn it into something else without too much trouble once I’m done being too mad to look at it! Ha!

3. Amy says:

Oh no! I actually just wrote a blog post about being afraid of this exact thing happening. :/ I hope you can save some of that lovely fabric- perhaps as a trim? What exactly is wrong with it?

• jen | grainline says:

I actually read that post the other day and loved it!! The fabric just had a little too much body for the skirt I was planning and I realized when trying it on that I would never wear it. Sad times but oh well, I should be able to cut a shirt out of it no problem so it’s not a total loss.

4. indigorchid says:

Ah, yes… totally done that. It’s hard – I think especially for us perfectionists (you’re totally a perfectionist, right?) to admit to ourselves that something might actually not work out, so we just truck ahead with the deluded hope that if only we finish, it has to turn out.

• jen | grainline says:

Total perfectionist, it’s a blessing and a curse but you know what I’m talking about! I trucked along to the part where I could try it on and it was a MAJOR no. Yikes!!

5. crab&bee says:

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for awhile and felt compelled to comment for the first time because this happened to me very recently. It’s a terrible feeling! I hope you feel better and can salvage the project!

• jen | grainline says:

It’s such a bummer, sorry to hear this happened to you too. I think I should be able to salvage…hopefully you can do the same!

6. i definitely know what you’re talking about! for myself, sometimes i get in this strange mindset thinking that if i just keep pushing forward, it’ll eventually work itself out, but as you said, once you have that gut feeling it never goes according to plan. you always have a wonderful way of figuring out things & i have a feeling this project will end up becoming something beautiful. :)

wishing you a wonderful weekend!

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks, you are too kind! I think this is destined to become the shirt I had originally planned. Sometimes your best idea is your first one.

7. Ginger says:

Oh no! I’m so sorry– what a disappointment!

8. Sorry to hear that-hopefully it’s something you can seam-rip or refashion. If not, use it for a scarf or kiddy clothes for the shelter. Have a better than now weekend and get better soon.

9. Julie says:

oh no!! I hate it when that happens (and annoyingly happens to us all!). But you are so talented and creative, these setbacks aren’t as frequent as your wins.

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks Julie, it’s so frustrating but inevitable I suppose. Glad I could share the puffin love with you!!!!!!!

10. Julie says:

p.s.- your link to the puffin streaming webcam has made my day.