Souvenir Show + Tell

On our Arizona trip my friend Ria and I were by ourselves a lot of the time while the artists got ready for the opening and concert. We spent a bit of time by the pool but on our first day during a quest to find gelato we stumbled upon the Mexican Import Outpost. Really it’s just called Mexican Imports but we like to rename things. Anyway we were in Scottsdale from Friday at noon to Sunday at 9am and we managed to stop there 4 or 5 times. The owners were really awesome and love to trick people with rattlesnake eggs which was pretty entertaining. All of our souvenirs were bought here and we convinced a few travel companions that they needed to hit it up too! Here are my souvenir scores.

Blanket. I have a really nice wool Mexican blanket but having a pug (such messy, hairy dogs) I can’t actually use it. We got this blanket since it’s washable so we can actually have something colorful on our bed.

Prickly Pear Cactus Candy. This stuff is awesome! The lid is closed b/c Ria and I did a pretty good job on it at the pool and I completely polished it off in celebration when I heard that my hound x Of a Kind top was featured on Refinery29. I really wish I had had time to get more because yummmmm!

Backpack. This thing rules pretty hard and I can already hear my Fjällräven Kånken quaking in it’s cute little Swedish boots. I talked a few other people into getting one of these…yes!!

Dress. This was my first purchase, I bought it and then wore it to the opening about 20 minutes later. Our first thought was to shorten it (it’s midi length) but after wearing it with my Swedish Hasbeen x H&M clogs all night everyone agreed that there was something really nice about the length. We’ll see how much wear it gets long, there could still be a shortening in it’s future.

This entry was posted in Journal Entry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Souvenir Show + Tell

1. sarah says:

awesome. solid purchases my friend.

2. Ginger says:

I want allllll of these things! I love the southwest– I always wish I could find a job in New Mexico! It’s so beautiful.

• jen | grainline says:

It’s a pretty nice place though my pale pale burny skin does wish for a little more shade when I’m there. I think New Mexico might be cooler than Arizona, at least when the only place I ever end up in Arizona is Scottsdale, NM takes the cake for sure

3. Sky Turtle says:

I like to do that as well, wear it for a while unhacked and see how I feel about it then cut cut cut. :)

4. maddie says:

I love the rug. I have a similar Mexican rug and it has lasted me so many years! It looks like you had a great time at the outpost

5. indigorchid says:

Love that dress! We demand to see it in action! ;) It looks like you had a great trip!

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks girl! I can’t believe I don’t have a photo of me wearing it! Well I do but it’s a closeup of Luke and I which seems a little gushy for the blog. No gush zone!

6. MadeByMeg says:

love your treasures! when i lived in Mexico City I bought a few of those Mexican dresses but they were too muumuu-ish for me. I refashioned them instead: http://megmadethis.blogspot.com/2009/04/traditional-mexican-dress_04.html. Hope you post pictures of you in yours!

• jen | grainline says:

Ooh I love how you turned it into a skirt! I think I’ll give it some wear over the next week and see how I’m feeling about the chop or not situation. I’m not sure how awkward I’ll find the length to be, I do love an oversized outfit though…bah!

7. sallie says:

such beautiful stuff! I love Mexican/Southwestern garb, and these are some solid choices!

8. ZoSews says:

Love (!!) the dress! Want :)