Polka Dot Blazer Inspiration

grainline polka dot blazer inspiration

Been looking around for blazer shape inspiration the past few days for the polka dot blazer and it seems like Zara and J.Crew have plenty of my favorite shapes. I think that something of a combination between the two is what I’m going for. I really like the sleeker collar and shape of the Zara blazers (top two) but the length of the J.Crew blazers (bottom two) is more what works on me, I’m not really tall enough to pull off a longer blazer. Now I’m trying to decide if I want to line this blazer or not, I’m on the fence about how weird it is to line a cotton blazer. Hmm…

This entry was posted in Journal Entry and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Polka Dot Blazer Inspiration

1. Kelli says:

i feel like you’ve been reading my mind. i have worn my chambray blazer so much that i want to make a couple more for the summer. But then i think i must be crazy to be making a blazer in the summer. i am on the lookout for a great floral print for mine. can’t wait to see your polka dot version.

2. Ginger says:

This is going to be amazing! I love the idea of the shorter length and slimmer lapels– super chic!

3. maddie says:

What about lining it in a knit? That would be really cozy on the inside!

4. Marcy says:

I can’t wait to see your blazer. I think if I made a light cotton one, I would line it – to give it some structure and prevent wrinkling when it’s hot, but both of those could be irrelevant if your cotton is a blend so it has body and isn’t prone to wrinkling.

• jen | grainline says:

After prewashing the fabric I will definitely be lining this sucker. It definitely softened up a lot, way too much to be unlined!

5. Miranda says:

I’ve never made a blazer. How do you finish the inside seams if it’s unlined? I love linings for the quirky hidden fabric options;)

• jen | grainline says:

There are a lot of options for seam finishing, hong kong is really great because you can do a contrast color, I’m also MAJOR into fun colored linings!

6. Mechelle says:

Jen, we just got this new blazer in at anthropologie (I work there)… Check it out. Might be good inspiration for a cotton blazer. http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/clothes-jackets-outervest/24698201.jsp
    Good luck! I have yet to brave making anything with a liner

• jen | grainline says:

Ooh love that blazer and especially the way they attached the buttons, thanks for the link!! I think I’m definitely going to steal that detail!

7. indigorchid says:

Bright contrast hong-kong binding! Yes! I mean, as an option for lining it. I think for a summer version you don’t really need the lining. But how fun would a pop of bright pink or lime be on the inside? Uh-hu – very!

• jen | grainline says:

That was totally my first thought!! I prewashed the fabric though and it’s softened up quite a bit so I think a light lining is in order. Bummerzzzzzzzzzz. Probably going to try for an awesome color though!

8. Kerri says:

Love that you want to make a polka-dot blazer. inspires me to pull out my sewing machine and make a blazer too! if you dont mind sharing, what pattern will you be using? any suggestions?

• jen | grainline says:

My plan is to just draft one up so I don’t have any links to share unfortunately. I know BurdaStyle has a lot of blazer options though, you might want to start there!

9. Julie says:

The perfect casual/dressy blazer hyprid is my fashion holy grail! I love that red one. I’m excited to see what you cook up!

• jen | grainline says:

Totally agree, they’re sort of hard to find (at least in my price point) which is always a bummer. Hopefully I can achieve the look!

10. Pingback: Summer Wardrobe | Planning | grainline