Getting Inspired with New Fabric

grainline silk polka dot fabric

grainline ikat stripe polka dot fabric

I ordered a few fabrics last week in anticipation of finally being able to make things for myself, not that I don’t have plenty laying around here but it’s nice to start fresh sometimes before delving into old projects (planned or started). Does anyone else buy new fabric when they need a kick into gear on the sewing front? I hope it’s not just me!

The first fabric is a silk georgette which I want to use for a tank. I have lots and lots of cotton tanks but nothing that isn’t super casual so hopefully this fills a void for me. I also ordered two different Ikat fabrics which I’m pretty pumped up about. The polka dot was originally going to be a dress but when my friend Maureen saw it the other day she said, “No, blazer!” I think she’s totally right on this one. The striped Ikat will be a pair of shorts because I only own one pair of shorts at the moment. Eventually I need to either make or buy a pair of jean shorts so I have some non-insane shorts but for now, crazy shorts it is!

This entry was posted in Journal Entry and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Getting Inspired with New Fabric

1. maddie says:

I love all the fabrics and I think a polka dotted jacket will be stellar!

2. katyrenee says:

Gorgeous fabrics. Where do you fabric shop at?

3. lauren says:

Ooh, I can’t WAIT to see all of these! I love those fabrics and your plans for them.

4. trula says:

Oh, I do this far to often – go fabric shopping. Especially when I try to avoid making prototypes. Looking forward to seeing the new tank.

5. Ginger says:

Ooh! Love all of this fabric! I just bought some silk to make a Tiny Pocket Tank with– I’ve been feeling too casual lately, and my sister suggested I make a few of my favorite patterns with nicer fabric. I’m really excited!

• jen | grainline says:

Oh man I am the most casual casualite around, we need to up our game! I’m totally doing the same thing, fav patterns in slightly fancier fabrics. Go team!

6. sallie says:

Yes! I love buying new fabric! It always gets me excited to start new projects. This fabric is gorgeous – I especially love the ikat polka dot – so unusual! It will make a great blazer.

• jen | grainline says:

I think buying the fabric might be more fun than finishing the project sometimes, actually a lot of the time for me.

7. Your new fabrics are awesome! I’ve been especially smitten with ikats for a while and you found some GREAT ones! I’m curious to know – did you find them online or at a local shop? Am looking forward to seeing your finished garments. Yay summer sewing :)

• jen | grainline says:

I actually got the Ikats at B&J online so you could actually check them out in person (jealous)! They have a TON of them too.

• Oh I love B&J! I’ve made your tank & tee pattern from ikat’s I purchased there. Ha ha. I haven’t been in a while so now I definitely have to make a trip :)

• jen | grainline says:

I wondered where you got that fabric from, I should have asked. From their online selection it seems like they’re drowning in the stuff!

• They have a pretty big selection in a variety of weights, some the ikats are really light/transparent and others feel like upholstery fabric. Plus they are right next to the liberty prints. A fast way to lose an entire paycheck!

8. Meghan says:

pretty fabric! I love polka dots. I can’t wait to see what you make with it.

9. emily marie says:

totally crazy. I had BOTH of those Ikats in my shopping cart just the other day! you’re making it even more tempting! I love the idea of making a jacket with the dotted one. absolutely perfect. j.crew has a right now with a print that mimics those dots, but a print can’t be anywhere near the quality of a true Ikat.

• jen | grainline says:

Oh crud, now I want that top, haha! So funny we’re on the exact same fabric wavelength, I had them in my cart for 2 days before I committed last week, glad I did. What were you planning on making with them? It’s not too late to say yes….fabric enabler here, watch out!!

• emily marie says:

shoot, I’m usually the enabler! I need to make a skirt or dress to change it up for weddings this summer. they seem to be out of the dots but I found something sort of similar at mood (and it’s cheaper!). I will definitely have ordered something by the time I go to sleep tonight, haha.

10. Go the printed shorts! I’m sure you wont look back.

11. Pingback: Pattern Tutorial | Adding Lining to an Unlined Blazer | grainline

12. Cynthia says:

Can you tell me where you purchased the polka dot silk georgette?