travel knitting

I’ve been working on a pair of socks, they make a pretty good travel project. I bought some KnitPicks Felici Sport sock yarn a while ago and it’s knitting up SO soft and warm, I can’t wait to get this pair done so I can wear them! So far I’ve been knitting all my socks using the Priscilla’s Dream Socks pattern which has a short row heel and toe and is customizable to fit my tiny feet. There seem to be so many different ways to knit socks out there I’d like to give another way a try though. Do you have a favorite method you can recommend and if so, what makes it awesome?

This entry was posted in Journal Entry and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to travel knitting

1. Ginger says:

I’ve been knitting for a while, but I’ve never had a desire to knit socks until seeing these (it just seems like a lot of work for something that you’ll be shoving into stinky old shoes all day)! They’re so cute!

• jen | grainline says:

I’ll admit I’ve also never really been into knitting socks until I found this yarn. So many awesome colorways that I want socks in each badly enough to knit them!

2. Melissa says:

Ooooo I love your socks! You picked a great colorway. I’m eager to try a toe-up sock. Most the ladies in my knitting group do the toe-up. I kind of like the idea of being able to adjust the fit around the foot right away, as you go up (rather than find out at the end that the foot might be too loose) … Adding toe-up socks to my new year resolutions :)

• jen | grainline says:

I really need to learn that technique! I hate having extra yarn after knitting socks, it would be awesome to just be able to knit till you get the height you want and not have to worry about running out of yarn or having tons left over, but of course never enough for that second sock! I do just jam my foot into the socks to test the fit even when I’m knitting from the top though…impatient I guess.

3. Caitlin says:

I love making socks! They’re the perfect on the go project. That said, I’ve only ever made socks with a gusset heel, which is kinda clunky. I did get “Socks from the Toes Up” for Christmas and am about to start doing that. Have you looked at that book? Lots of good lookin’ socks in that.

• jen | grainline says:

I am definitely checking that book out! After all these comments I have decided that toe up socks are the way to go. I also need some sock patterns that aren’t just regular socks!

4. Katherine says:

I was set on the sock path by a lovely lady I knit with. She gave me a copy of the universal toe up sock formula (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTuniversalsock.html) and a ball of yarn and sent me on my way. I’ve only just started the top down socks and it’s an exciting new adventure. Next on the list is a pair of monkeys (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTmonkey.html) because I’ve heard they’re quite a fun knit. I know sock knitting seems tedious but I’m astonished I haven’t knit piles of socks given that I live in Canada and it gets more than a little chilly here.

• jen | grainline says:

Ooh thanks for the links! I am thinking I’ll try my next pair with the toe up method. I’ve had the monkey’s on my to-knit list since forever but I’ve never tackled them for some reason. I’ll bet you need lots of wool socks up there considering how many I think I need here in Chicago!

5. Elizabeth says:

I always have a pair of socks in the making. I’m a die hard fan of knitting to at a time on one long circular needle. The socks come out perfectly symmetrical and I never suffer from one-sock syndrome. I also love going from the toe – up so that I can squeeze ever last inch of yarn out of the skein. I make a yarn cake and pull from the middle and the side so that I don’t have to fool with more than one ball.

• jen | grainline says:

I’ve seen this two at a time method and it scares the bejesus out of me in that it seems HARD! I will try googling this, maybe I can figure it out? Ha we’ll see

6. Kristen says:

socks are the best travel-knitting project! I like toe-up patterns so I can knit tall socks (I just knit until I run out of wool!).

7. Julie says:

That socks looks so awesome!! I have no tips- I’m not much of a sock knitter, I only knit 1 pair a year, if that, and only if someone asks me for them. But yours is looking fab!

8. I love your choice of yarn, as I’ve just recently become a big fan of Knit Picks. I’ve made a couple pairs of socks using a Pattons yarn pattern I found at Joanns. With so many different techniques out there to try, I hope to experiment with some of them in the future. Oh, and knitting socks (and hats) is the perfect travel activity – so productive and so compact!

Katherine

• jen | grainline says:

Agreed on the socks and hats, I made a hat on my last plane ride, though you do tend to attract stares on the plane from time to time. I’ve seen some Pattons yarn socks popping up here and there and they seem pretty nice, I’ll have to check it out next time I’m there!

9. That is one of my favorite colorways. I think it looks to Retro 1930s scrap quilty.

• jen | grainline says:

This is definitely my fav of the colorways but I have to admit I had such a hard time deciding because they all looked so great that I bought two other colorways as well. I keep spying on the ones I didn’t purchase thinking ‘maybe I should get those too?’ Haha! Definitely my favorite sock yarn to date!

10. Jen says:

My go-to sock pattern has always been the Yarn Harlot’s sock recipe but I’m going to attempt the toe up method on my next pair. I’ve got Wendy Johnson’s Socks from the toe up on hold at the library.

• jen | grainline says:

I actually just put that book on my amazon list for my next order due to all the recommendations here! I wish I could remember to get my new CPL card so I could just reserve these things. Ugh!

11. Sindy says:

I knit toe up because I like tall socks and I can try them on while I am still working on them. But the best tip is to knit on two circular needles instead of the dpns. No fear of dropping my stitches off the needles. I even had my cat steal my sock in progress and the dog grabbed it to play with and no stitches came off the needles. If it had been on dpns that wouldn’t have happened….

12. Grace says:

I love toe up sock knitting. It avoids kitchener, gets the toe out of the way first, and lets me know before I get to the heel if it’s going to fit my foot well, and I can knit the socks down to the last yard of yarn, which I like to do.

13. Geri says:

I’m looking at knitting my first socks on the long-haul flight (27 hours eek!) in February. Your travel socks are so inspiring, and all the helpful links and resources in the comments super helpful!

14. kenzie says:

Just started my first pair of socks! I do wish I was doing toe up, I’ll just probably knit these ones as written and decide from there what I want to do. I like that striped yarn, usually self striping yarn can be so bad looking.

15. Pingback: Sock Yarn Shopping | grainline