fall wardrobe part two | mini moss denim skirt

Well here it is, the first garment in my new fall wardrobe! I am calling it the Mini Moss Denim Skirt because I am SO amazing at naming things. Haha no, I am horrible at naming things and that’s why it now has this name. Anyway it’s the denim skirt from Look 1 in my wardrobe post (here) and so far it’s gotten a lot of use! I found the denim in my fabric bin…well, one of my fabric bins* so that was a nice money saving move. The pattern is my own…back yoke, fly front, front pockets you know, the usual for a jean skirt. I am pretty sure I’ll be making many more skirts from this pattern.

I know I really don’t need to add this photo but isn’t Roamy looking so cute! What is it about cats that makes them come running as soon as a camera is out. This girl LOVES to be on film. Digital. Whatever, she loves it.

There was a lot of topstitching to be done on this skirt and lucky for me I couldn’t find any topstitching thread in an appropriate color so I had to go with regular thread. Possibly would have been cuter with the proper thread but oh well. The button is perhaps a bit odd, some sort of golden buggy, but it was the best I could do (and it was my Great-Grandmother’s). I tried to find a jeans style button (joann.com is telling me they are called tack buttons) but jeez they are ugly! I could not do that to my poor skirt. I am also considering putting belt loops on this skirt which I haven’t done yet because I do not own a belt. I always mean to buy a cute skinny one but it never happens. Hopefully I can find something this autumn…

This skirt is a bit different in the pocket area than others I’ve drafted/sewn in that the pockets go all the way to the center front seam. I was skeptical while I was sewing, it had the potential to get a bit bulky in there, but now that it’s done I may never do pockets the other way again. Anchoring them to the CF seam keeps them from bunching up like pockets are known to do, especially when you are wearing tights. These lay so flat and never seem to have the least bit of bunching action. Yes!!

Oh yeah, I made my first animated gif! Luke LOVES to take a zillion photos at a time with his rapid fire cameras and when I went through the photos this was like a little animation. I’ve always wanted to try a gif and dudes, it is SO easy!! Hopefully it looks more cool than creepy.

* To be read in the style of David Sedaris in Our Perfect Summer. It’s better in audio but I can’t find that link.

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to fall wardrobe part two | mini moss denim skirt

1. Jessica says:

I love this! It looks so great!

PS. I just started my Fashion MFA (I have a studio arts background) and seeing your awesome photos gives me hope that maybe someday I can make things with straight seams!

• jen | grainline says:

Oh sweet! Where are you studying…are you by chance at SAIC? I am pretty sure from your blog you’re located in Chicago!!

2. juebejue says:

love it! looks just like what you promised in previous drawings ;) very chic.

3. emily marie says:

adorable. it’s so cute with those socks!

4. Wanett says:

I love it!! I just made a denim mini(ish) skirt today. I should have been daring enough to go as short as you did . Your legs look awesome!

• jen | grainline says:

Ha, thanks! You should see me walking around tugging at the hem of my skirt paranoid it’s too short! I am not used to wearing short things even though multiple people have told me the skirt is fine…

5. Natasha Jane says:

I love the buggy button… and the Sedaris quote!

PS: I just finished my Kat Colorblock Dress and I love it! Thank you so much for creating the pattern. It was super fun to make and now I have a pretty dress to wear while watching tv tonight, hah.

• jen | grainline says:

Ooh I can’t wait to see all the dying that you did for the dress! Haha sounds about like me, nowhere to wear all these fancy creations!

6. indigorchid says:

That looks great! And, that was so fast! I have a tendency to hem and haw and plan out every little detail to the point that I don’t actually start the project… or finish it two years later. Must just make things!

• jen | grainline says:

Totally know what you are saying…I will drag things out as long as humanly possible hence my sewing list in public. Hahaha hopefully I keep myself sewing this way!

7. Vivi says:

oh, I’ve got the same clogs :-)
    super cute skirt, I love both shape and colour!
    It’s weird, I was so ready for autumn about 10days ago, now it’s indian summer in London, back to shorts and tank tops for a short time…it’s been so hot!
    x

8. Melissa says:

Great skirt! Skirts have been on mind as well, they are such a great item for fall.

BTW – did you cut your hair? It looks great!

• jen | grainline says:

Thanks, yeah, I had it all chopped off! I also am seconding skirts for fall, I definitely don’t wear enough skirts

9. Becka says:

You look so cute! I love this whole look and makes me want to rewind back to Autumn. Planning and making a seasonal wardrobe pieces is such a good idea, I might have to try that for Summer.

Also I love your hair! So cute!

10. Grace says:

Very cute skirt. I can’t agree more about your pocket bag construction. Every pant and skirt with slant front pockets NEEDS to utilize this method. Gapping is just unnacceptable IMO.

Also, I was just over on Taylor Tailor’s blog today and noticed that he carries jean sundries in his shop so you might try him for good looking jean tab buttons. http://www.taylortailor.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home

11. Liz says:

I’d love to see you make this into a pattern! Bunching pockets are the worst.

12. pam says:

I’ve bought your top patterns, which were really really great to put together… I would buy this in a heartbeat if you made it available!

13. Pingback: Grainline Moss (Not So) Mini Skirt: feeling a bit meh. | sewmanju