the mittens from you know where

You guys, I am in the middle of the WORST knitting project in years…these mittens [ravelry link]. I’ve had this yarn for a few years and finally decided sometime this summer that I needed a pair of mustard mittens for fall and this was the yarn for the job. I also thought, ‘Oh why don’t I just make up my own knitting pattern on this one, that shouldn’t be too hard for a pair of mittens!’ and for the first one, it wasn’t. Well the first one after the really ugly one I originally made. Anyway that first mitten knit up super fast as any good mitten should so of course I figured that the second mitten would be the same. I took notes on what I did for my mitten and followed them for the second. That mitten ended up too long. I ripped the mitten out and knit it again. Too long again. Third time knit up without watching Parks & Recreation on Netflix (I thought that was causing my counting problem), again too long. Mind you never the same amount of too long because I was trying to compensate for the length of the previous mitten in my rows. Fourth mitten…way too short. Fifth mitten almost right but a few stitches too short. What is the deal?!?!? These mittens hate me, they are teasing me with one cute mitten and then saying, oh Jen, you will never wear us. And then they have a good laugh about it. I am going to give these mittens one last try, and if that doesn’t work I am giving up. I think that’s the right thing to do, right?

This entry was posted in Progress Report and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to the mittens from you know where

1. Julie says:

oh no!! that sucks that they are being so difficult for you, sneaky mittens. maybe this time try them on as you go?

2. michael ann says:

i know i shouldn’t laugh, because i have had just as many terrible experiences as this and know HOW frustrating it can be, but i have to say this is a pretty funny story! but you can conquer the demon mittens, haha!

3. martha says:

Would blocking compensate for the shortness (or longness if that happens again)? I often have the same problem with socks. And why would I? They should be exactly the same?!?! This sounds silly, but are you sure you’re knitting on the same needles?

Good luck, just think how great it will feel when you have them finished!

4. jen | grainline says:

Here’s the thing…I’ve actually not gotten to the end of any of the 2nd mittens because I realized that something was afoot.

Michael Ann – Haha you should totally be laughing, these mittens are playing the biggest joke ever on me. I am definitely laughing!

Martha – Definitely the same needles, I cast on immediately upon finishing the first mitten, but the blocking is a good point. The yarn has been knit and re-knit so many times now, maybe it just needs a little blocking love. I’m going to try that out I think before I rip this one out and see how that goes. I totally have this problem with socks too, paired garments are evil

5. Jessica says:

that yarn looks so lovely! I’m sure you’ll have matching mittens in no time, but if you need help let me know. I’m giving all my family members mittens for christmas this year and I think I could make a pair in my sleep now :)

6. Erica says:

Ack! This is Tragic! Mitten woes.

7. Pingback: fall wardrobe part one | grainline