tips & tricks?

In the next few weeks I’m going to have some photography help in the form of Luke’s intern Maggie while he is away in France shooting Le Tour. I thought this would be a great time to do a bunch of tips & tricks to stockpile since it’s always really hard to photograph myself while I’m sewing. She’s also major at editing photos so that will be a huge help as well. I have a few things on my list (super easy roll hems, extra sharp corners, tips for delicate necklines, etc.) but I thought this might be a good time to take some requests. Is there any technique you want to see? Something you hate sewing that you think should be easier? Whatever, let me know, perhaps I have a super sneaky tip or trick. We’ll see.

This entry was posted in Tips & Tricks and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to tips & tricks?

1. Breezy says:

Ooh, I so want to learn how to do a rolled hem. Also, I just got a serger and am pretty clueless with it. It came with a bunch of cool attachments that I don't know how to use. If you have any neat serger tricks up your sleeve, they would be appreciated right herrre.

2. ashima says:

Inset sleeves is my nemesis. Also if you have pointers on working with silk fabrics.

3. lazystitching says:

Front fly for pants!
    :)Alana

4. beautifulshell says:

I have a recurring problem with dresses gaping at the neckline, even though the bust/waist/rest of the bodice fits. Any tips on how to take out the extra fabric so the neck lies flat?

5. Melissa says:

Oh yes, any tips you have for working with slippery fabrics. I'm dying to make something silky but the last time I tried, disaster.

6. Meg says:

bound pockets and button holes

7. amykazuye says:

Sleeves, yes! And invisible zippers?

8. Unfurled says:

I'm seconding fly fronts and invisible zippers. And altering patterns and vintage clothing!

9. jen says:

Thanks for all the suggestions! Some will make great tips+tricks and some would be better perhaps as longer tutorials. I'll do my best to fit them all in…except I don't really have many serger tips being that I have a very basic one and the only other sergers I've used are industrial which also aren't very fancy. I'll look into it though!

10. Rachel says:

After inserting a side invisible zipper in a skirt, I can never get the top of the waistband to be as flat and neat as the other side seam. I'd love to see any tips & tricks for that!

11. Phyllis says:

I'm new here but buttonholes – no two look the same – and placement of said horrid buttonholes. Thank you.

12. Ninth and Bird says:

I love to sew! Any tips you could share would be loved! I haven't been sewing as much lately and I'm dying for a new project! I just posted about a dress I made a few years ago, if you wanna check it out!

13. Pingback: Singer Sewing Machines | tips & tricks? | grainline

14. stephanie says:

gussets –they look so good/can be so handy but I don’t have the touch — would love to know how to sew those

15. Kelli says:

I don’t know if you are still taking suggestions, but I do have a request. I have a really hard time getting my bias tape necklines to lay flat. I am going to try your tutorial for delicate necklines, which will probably help, but if you have any other suggestions that would be wonderful. Thanks so much.

16. Kellie says:

Zippers! Definitely :) .

17. Bethany says:

I would love a clear tutorial for adding binding or a neckband to a v neck woven top. I am having so much trouble finding one!