moths

Utter sadness.  I was speechless when I pulled my favorite mittens out of my mitten storage*, put them on and realized that they had become a midsummers snack to some thoughtless moths.  I actually thought I might cry!  Now I will be scouring the internet on how to darn because I can not let these little babies die.  They are about 6 years old and don’t look a day over 1 thanks to the wonderful properties of alpaca.  Luckily I have the yarn leftover still saved for an occasion such as this, wish me luck.
* I had moth protection in my mitten storage, but apparently not enough.  Will also be working on remedying this.
This entry was posted in Journal Entry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to moths

1. sownbrooklyn says:

Oh, no!! LUCK!!
    I found a hole in my shawl (made with handspun yarn gifted by an internet buddy) and I wanted to cry :(
    I'm not sure if it was moths or being caught in my zipper. Either way, sad.

2. Natasha Jane says:

I read about darning on the Colette Patterns blog a while back… http://www.colettepatterns.com/blog/tutorials-tips-tricks/make-do-and-mend-darning

The sock example in the blog post is bad, but I think you may be able to make the technique work on your wooly mitten. Good luck!

3. Julie says:

oh no!!! that's so sad, but that's good news that you have some of the yarn leftover and can do some darning. You can save them, for sure! A sachet or a scrap of fabric with lavender or cedar essential oils on it near your knits will keep them moth-free.

4. jen says:

oh thanks so much for all the darning links, I will definitely be needing them! this is so intimidating!

5. Madelaine says:

Eek!

Since you have such small holes, I would recommend just mimicking the way the yarn would normally go with a fresh piece and a darning needle. That way the mend will be less visible. It's sort of like a large area of duplicate stitch. Knitting Daily has a good diagram: http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/howto/archive/2008/05/15/duplicate-stitch.aspx
    Make sure you cover a few stitches away from the hole all around.

You might also want to put your mitts in a zip top bag for a few days in the freezer. It kills some moth eggs and all carpet beetle eggs, lessening your chances of a repeat :(

6. jen says:

Oh, thanks so much for the link and the tips Madelaine, I had no idea they could have laid eggs in my mitts…ahhh so sick! I'm going to google carpet beetles now…I think…could be frightening.